Turkey defrosting times: 8 to 12 pounds will take 1 to 2 days. 12 to 16 pounds will take 2 to 3 days. Allow approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds in a refrigerator set at 40 F.
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
2. First remove the giblets and neck from the cavity. You can reserve these parts for the gravy.
3. Rinse the turkey with cold running water and drain well.
4. Blot dry with paper towels.
5. Season the inside cavity with salt and pepper.
6. Fold the wings under the body, to prevent the tips from burning.
7. Tie the legs together with butcher string.
8. Fold the neck skin and fasten it to the back with a skewer.
9. Drizzle the outside of the turkey with Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
10. Season generously with salt and pepper.
11. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow a roasting pan no more than 2.5 inch deep.
12. Insert an oven-safe thermometer into thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not touch the bone.
13. Roast the turkey in a preheated 325 degree F oven about 3-1/2 hours depending on the weight.
14. Frequently baste the turkey with the pan juices.
15. Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 165 degrees F.
16. Remove the turkey from the oven and allow the bird to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.